14:00 – 15:00
15:00 – 15:05
Chair's Opening Remarks
Chief Compliance Officer
15:05 – 15:45
Joint session With Corporate Compliance Exchange
Opening Keynote: To Marry or To Separate…the Legal and Compliance Function
Historically, the role of General Counsel in many companies also encompasses the one of compliance officer but the views have changed substantially over the past few years and differ significantly. With the changes to the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and increased enforcement from the regulators globally, the question whether to separate these two functions is a hot topic for many organisations.
The GC and CCO in this session will examine the risks and benefits of the split versus combined legal and compliance role in the organisations:
- Evaluating the corporate structure and culture to determine whether legal and compliance function should be split in the organisation - discussing different organisational models, regulatory demands and the implications for the roles of GC and CCO
- Assessing the reporting lines for the GC and CCO and their presence on the company Board
- Should the CCO report to the GC/CEO/CFO?
- Identifying risks and benefits of the split/combined function set-up
15:45 – 16:30
Effective Contract Management
Efficient contract management remains an on-going issue. Legal departments are spending too much time reviewing contracts and are finding it difficult to find a structure that fits the company, provides an up to date picture of risk and obligation and allows queries to be answered quickly and efficiently.
This workshop will examine the following:
- What are the legal solutions that help increase the efficiency of the process of reviewing contracts from responding to a bid through to execution?
- What can legal departments put in place that would improve the management of contracts through their life - identifying and managing risk, understanding scope and constraints and supporting timely responses to management requests?
Chief Executive Officer
New Street Solutions
16:30 – 16:45
16:45 – 17:15
Key Competencies Required of the General Counsel to be the CEO’s Strategic Business Partner in our Age of Regulation (including client case study)
Jauch Associates AG
17:15 – 17:45
17:45 – 18:30
Case Study: Increasing the Efficiency and Quality of Legal Support
Restrained by reduced budget and recruitment caps, more and more General Counsel are looking for ways to optimise internal resources, implement tools to increase legal department efficiencies and thus reduce the external legal spend.
In this case study, the speaker will draw on their own experience and explain how they have increased efficiencies.
- Identifying KPI to determine efficiency of your legal department
- Creating effective performance measurement controls
- Budgeting for unexpected litigation
- Devising internal training to increase self-sufficiency of your Internal stakeholders – e.g sales, procurement
- Identifying and implementing effective technologies and standardised processes and thus streamlining internal processes
- Establishing processes to avoid or settle disputes before they reach the courts
VP, Legal & Compliance
19:00 – 20:00
Networking Drinks Reception
20:00 – 22:00
Dinner Hosted by Debevoise & Plimpton
Home and Away: The Changing Face of Law and Legal Practice
An international perspective from former UK Attorney General
Lord Goldsmith QC
European & Asian Chair of Litigation
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
[ Request an Invitation ] • [ Next: Day Two: Tuesday 24th April 2012 ]